Friday, February 18, 2011

The Napkin

Last week I went on a girl date with my very pregnant friend Amy. It was six days prior to her due date and we decided to go for dinner and a movie. She had been having mild contractions off and on for quite some time, so neither of us were alarmed when she had one during dinner. As we ate, she commented on another contraction - this one a little more intense. Soon followed by another one. Uh oh. I commented that they seemed fairly close together - she agreed. I quickly grabbed a pen to keep track of them. They were getting intense. She was red faced and holding her breath. I figured it was time to go home. We would skip the movie and call her husband.

She agreed - but insisted we stay a bit longer to eat cheesecake first. (hilarious)


I saved the napkin from the restaurant. I thought it would be a good keepsake for her to have to for the baby's birth story. No need though - it was a false alarm. The contractions stopped. No baby birth that day. Which worked out I guess. We ate yummy cheesecake and enjoyed a cute movie.

The little guy wasn't ready to make his debut into the world.....until TODAY!! He arrived just after midnight. If it's possible to be both ecstatic and devastated at the same time - that is what I'm feeling right now. I am so happy for Amy and her family and I have been anxiously awaiting his arrival. However, as luck would have it - it appears I've developed my millionth case of strep throat so I won't be able to see him for awhile. This pisses me right off.

But I am thankful we live in this wonderful world of technology that enabled me to see a picture of him within a few short hours of his arrival. He is perfect. Just now I saw a picture of Amy holding him, introducing him to his big brother for the first time. The boys were holding hands and my heart melted a little bit. I love these boys and one of them I haven't even met yet.

Welcome Daxton. I can't wait to watch you learn and grow.






Favourite of the Day: I am dog-sitting Eddie for the weekend. He belongs to one of the kids I coach. He is currently curled up on the couch beside me, farting up a storm. But he's cute and cuddly, so I'm holding my breath and enjoying his company. I don't want him to feel embarrassed...we just met after all.



1 comment:

Amy said...

My boys loves their Auntie Sara too :) Daxton can't wait to meet you!