Wednesday, February 2, 2011

To Infinity and Beyond

I used to be a very nostalgic person. I saved bouquets of flowers from weddings I have stood up in. I saved shells from my first trip to Florida and sand from Cuba. I had acorns from Emmilia’s wedding and the collars of my dead cats. The list goes on. I saved everything I thought held sentimental value.

Then I started watching Hoarders. Witnessing the wild array of filth and chaos these people live in makes my skin crawl. It makes me want to throw out everything in sight and clean my house from top to bottom.

Now I have an appreciation for de-cluttering and simplicity. “Stuff” is becoming less important to me and I value photos and memories more. I don’t need dried roses from a wedding to remind me of the wedding. I really loved my cat Steve but keeping his collar does not change that in any way. (In fact, it just makes it worse when I accidentally stumble upon it and remember that he’s gone.)

I have embarked on a massive spring cleaning project. Well, considering it was -20C yesterday I may be premature in saying it is spring. But since I moved into my house 7 years ago, I had yet to go through many boxes and piles of things I have hidden away. Until yesterday, that is. After 528,876 trips up and down my stairs I have successfully gone through everything. I have made piles of things to be donated, things for the dump and a small pile of things to keep (yay!).

I did decide to keep select memorabilia from my past. I was careful in choosing what I kept and what was not needed. (I do have a soul, despite my eagerness to clean right now).

There was only one item I struggled with. On Christmas morning 1988 I was given a stuffed dog I named Dumby (I don’t know why). He was blue, satin and just all around cozy. I slept with him every night until I moved out 14 years later. I brought him with me to my new house, but retired him to the basement. By then he was ratty, discoloured and torn. Yesterday I decided his day was finally done. I brought him to the dump and casually threw him in the bin with the rest of the garbage. I started to walk away when I happened to look back and saw him lying there. For an instant my heart skipped. He was lying amidst piles of broken glass and useless crap and I felt sad. I put a lot of love into that guy and he gave me love right back. I just recently watched Toy Story 3 and thought of Andy moving on to College and leaving Woody behind in a closed up box. Toy Story 3 was surprisingly emotional and a good example of how a plain old cowboy can grow to be far more than a simple toy. Andy knew it was time for him to move on and so did I. But Andy didn’t throw Woody into piles of broken glass, did he.

I’m such a jerk.

2 comments:

Francesca said...

I remember Dumby and his gross ring around his protuberant umbilicus. Gross gross gross.

Heidi said...

Hoarders is the perfect antidote to pack-ratting. I can barely get through an episode. Since it's been on the air, I find myself saving less and less STUFF as I picture strange overweight chain-smoking women living in a dilapidated trailers amid a "collection" of 2,000 Disney place mats and 400 cats.