Monday, September 28, 2009

Tricky Tricksters

So, as I said before, I love Shoppers Drug Mart. I also previously mentioned how I accumulated a whole bunch of Optimum points. I decided yesterday was the day. I was finally going to redeem my points and I was quite excited. I spent the whole day fantasizing about all the fun things I could get for free with my points. I pondered if I should splurge and get things I wouldn't normally get since it would be free or if I should be a responsible grown up and get things I need.

Like my blog title states, I am my mother's daughter and my mother is a fan of buying in bulk. (Growing up, my friends referred to her pantry as the storm closet - because if there were a natural disaster we could survive for months on the things she has stocked in there.) I have found the same excitement in buying things in mass quantities so I decided to be an adult and buy the things I need.

When I got to the store I looked at their point redemption system. Based on having 65,000 I determined I would have around $100.00 at LEAST in free stuff. Here's how I came to that decision:




















Logical right? Apparently not.

I happily stocked up on shampoo, conditioner, facewash, toothpaste, face cream...all that fun stuff. I had found some fantastic deals, so I decided I would use only half my points and get to do this twice!! When the cashier rang through all my items my total came to $55.85. She said I had to use the highest level of points that was closest to that amount and then I would owe the difference. Okay, sure. So - I ended up paying her $6.42.

When I got in my car I looked at my receipt and it said I had redeemed 40,000 points. But my total purchase value was $49.43. What am I missing here?

I went back inside to ask questions. Of course the only person working is a 16 year old girl with the communication skills of Mike Tyson. So - I still have no idea how this program works. All I know is I did not save $75.00 with my 40,000 points.

I did get free stuff and I have a lot of items in bulk though, so that's cool. But Shoppers? You are some tricky tricksters.

Favourite of the Day: Yesterday hockey season started!! I am so looking forward to another year of coaching and I was happy to be back at the rink and see all the girls. Can't wait for the draft to be over and have the team picked!!

3 comments:

GIGGLES said...

Hmm...16 year old kid working at shoppers who can't answer any of your questions? I've NEVER heard of that happening before!

Tee hee hee...

mirella. said...

"a 16 year old girl with the communication skills of Mike Tyson"

HAHAHAHAHHA

Natasha said...

Oh, I'm sad to see this. They screwed up.