Monday, November 16, 2009

Full Circle

I was driving by a cemetery about two weeks ago and I started to think about cremation. I got a little fixated on this and it consumed my thoughts for quite some time. I wasn't thinking about the spiritual aspect of it, but instead, the physical aspect. I was thinking about the people who do that for a living. Can you imagine if that was your job? I wondered if the job became routine for them and they eventually stopped thinking about what they were actually doing all day. I wondered if they were spiritual people or not. I wondered if they worked alone and had only the company of the departed all day long. Many thoughts were swirling around this brain of mine.

Then my life came full circle, as it often does.

Last week I had gone to watch some friends of mine play hockey. After the game we went up to the Sports bar for a drink. As we were sitting there, this man who knew one of my friends came to sit with us and chat.

Well, wouldn't you know it - he cremates people for a living.

I got really excited when I found out and I asked him a ton of questions. I think he was excited that I was excited and he didn't disappoint. He told me everything in detail. Whenever the conversation started to steer in a new direction I quickly jumped in to bring it back to focus. I'm sure my friends were thinking "okay Sara, let it go". And eventually I did.

I love that random coincidental stuff happens to me. Isn't that awesome? I LOVE MY LIFE.


Favourite of the Day: Yesterday in the car with Avery and Darienne, I cranked up "Love Story" by Taylor Swift and we all sung at the top of our lungs. We were so into it that when we arrived at our destination we just put the car in park and kept on singing.

I've been reading this blog and crying every single time I read it. It is a lesson in life to appreciate moments while you can. So I'm going to rock out with these kids every chance I get.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I LOVE ...that you are such a happy girl! I had a bit of an eye-opening moment right before my 30th birthday, too, and it made me so grateful to take a minute to realize how damn lucky I was to be surrounded by the people I have in my life (you included).

Everytime someone asked me about "getting old", my only thought was that it sure as heck beats the alternative! Enjoy your last few weeks of twenty-something-hood, and make some plans to relish every minute of what's yet to come. Then, right after that, call me so we can make some dinner plans, damn it!

Heidi said...

Leave it to you to have a serendipitous moment with a cremator.

I can't imagine NEVER EVER in a million years having this conversation. I give you credit for being so inquisitive and brave. I'm completely incapable of carrying on an adult conversation about ANYTHING death related –– especially cremation.

Natasha said...

That's so weird and cool! You and I are so alike in this regard. You're the only grown-up I know who's as excitable as me.

Your life is crazy and very cool. Hilarious.