Monday, November 23, 2009

Pee Wee's Madhouse

When I was a young buck I eagerly awaited Saturday mornings. Every week at 10:30am sharp you would have found me sitting on a metal chair covered in red vinyl, placed on hideous green carpet directly in front of the TV in the basement. I would be waiting to find out the day's 'secret' word on Pee Wee's Playhouse. Whenever the word was said, I would "scream real loud" right alongside Paul Reuben. That was my absolute favourite show. I LOVED it. I would laugh and laugh and I loved all the characters on the show.

Skip ahead to today, as I laid on my couch sulking with strep throat, I stumbled upon "The Pee Wee Herman Show" playing on HBO. Why HBO is playing this, I have no idea. But watching the show again after 20 years made me question how this show landed on television in the first place. It is so messed up and twisted. It was clearly created in someones drug induced mind.

Isn't it funny how perspective changes in 20 years? It is comforting to know that the innocence of childhood prevents you from seeing the darker side of things. Part of me was slightly horrified today, but another part of me wanted to laugh really hard and if it didn't hurt - I would have.

Minus that whole masturb*ting in public stint, Paul Reuben, tapped into something successful (well, besides himself....hardy har har). I'm guessing it takes a lot for grown man to wear blush and prance around talking to puppets. I'm sure he took quite a bit of chirping from his buddies, but he would have been the one laughing all the way to the bank.

If you are like me and forgot how whacked out this show is, check out this little gem I found. It is "Cowness" (the cow) coaching "Cowboy Curtis" (played by Laurence Fishburne...what???) on how he should act on his date with Miss Yvonne. Pee Wee is pretending to be Miss Yvonne. It is really funny. Try to watch the whole thing.




Favourite of the Day: Um. This video.  My mom is supposed to be bringing me some Mr Freezies soon.  When that happens, it will be my favourite.  Until then...  Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho.  

3 comments:

Giggles said...

I LOVE Pee Wee Playhouse. And I agree, now looking back, it was kind of creepy some of the things they talked about! I still find myself giggling like a schoolgirl watching it (on HBO)!

Hope you feel better!

Heidi said...

OHMYGOD. Did you know Pee-Wee was caught jerking it at a movie theater in SARASOTA? AND, just last month I interviewed the artistic director of The Players Theatre in Sarasota, where good 'ol PW started his "career," playing a von Trapp kid in The Sound of Music.

Natasha said...

Meka leka hi meka heiny ho! I totally forgot about that!

Very impressed that you remember what time it came on. Or disturbed. One of those.