Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Child of the 70's

It may be misleading to say I was born in the 70's considering I was only technically there for 28 days. Majority of that time was spent sleeping, I'm sure. However, I thought it would be interesting to know what was happening around the world the year I was born. Here are some random tidbits from the year: (side note: how awesome is the word tidbits?)

1979
  • The Pittsburgh Steelers win the Superbowl. The Habs win the Cup. The Seattle SuperSonics win the NBA finals. Pittsburgh Pirates win the World Series.
  • School shooting in San Diego California. Brenda Spencer opens fire in a school, killing two staff members and 8 students because "she doesn't like Mondays". I didn't know school shootings, by a chick to say the least, happened back then. And because she doesn't like Mondays??
  • It snows in the Sahara Desert for 30 minutes.
  • New Orleans cancels Mardi Gras because the Police Department went on strike.
  • Joe Clark is the Prime Minister of Canada. Jimmy Carter is the President of the United States. Margaret Thatcher becomes the first female prime minister of the United Kingdom.
  • The first execution using the electric chair takes place.
  • US President Jimmy Carter is attacked by a swamp rabbit (um. yes. a swamp rabbit.)
  • Ray Washington, who is the co-founder of the "Crips" one of the most notorious gangs, still to this day - is murdered.
  • Michael Jackson releases his first album. It goes platinum, selling 7 million copies.
  • ESPN debuts.
  • For Better or For Worse comic strip debuts.
  • The 'One Child Policy' is implemented in China.
  • McDonald's introduces Happy Meals to its menu.
  • Mother Teresa wins the Nobel Peace Prize.
I started to look at who else was born in 1979. Keshia Knight Pulliam was one of them. WHAT? Rudy Huxtable and I are the same age? SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. I had no idea. Other people who were born that year: Kate Hudson, Heath Ledger, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Marian Hossa, Claire Danes, Pink, John Krasinski (awww), Sara Bareilles....

Things that I THINK probably also happened in 1979, but can't say for sure:
  • The birth of my sister's 'Middle Child Syndrome' is launched.
  • My father presumably gets the vasectomy he missed 9 months prior. (Ta Da!! HERE I AM)
I feel like I just did a school project. I found this interesting though. I hope my fellow 1979-ers enjoy this as well!

No comments: