Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bananas are dreamy.

Banana is my favourite flavour of anything. If it has bananas in it - I love it. I have this banana lotion from Bath and Body Works and when I use it, I want to lick myself. But I don't - relax. Cause that's weird. But the point is - I want to. That is how much I love banana things.

One time I went to Laura Secord and saw that one of their ice cream flavours was 'Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich'. I probably stood there completely stunned for a few seconds. As you may predict - I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Bananas? Good. Peanut Butter? Good. Put them together? Perfection. Add ice cream? Oh my. It did not disappoint. It was vanilla ice cream with chunks of banana, swirls of peanut butter and those little graham chunks that you find in NY Cherry Cheesecake. (You know what I'm talking about). It was the best ice cream I've ever had in my entire life.

Over time I periodically went back to see if they had it again. They did not. Finally one day I asked the woman working if they would have it again anytime soon. She told me it didn't exist. That they have never had it. EVER. What?

I can only conclude my ice cream bliss was a dream. A very vivid- I-can't-even-tell-it's-not-real dream. Which is absurd. Absurd that I'm inventing ice cream and absurd that I can't even tell it is fake.

My dreams makes me angry. I want an 'off' switch for my brain - so I didn't spend my nights chasing things, being stressed out, losing my clothes, forgetting my dance routine at my recital, water skiing with Cindy Crawford or sitting at the Oscars with Sylvester Stallone - whom I co-starred with yet who forgot who I was when I introduced him to my family. Yes, these are all real dreams I have had. In comparison, maybe inventing ice cream isn't that weird - but it still set me up for a huge disappointment.

I just googled "Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich" ice cream just to be sure it's not real. No dice.

Maybe I can bring this to Dragons' Den. If my dreams make me rich I won't be angry anymore.



Favourite of the Day: Woke up this morning and walked down to the beach to dip my toes in the lake before driving back to town.



1 comment:

Nicole said...

Found this recipe for you:

And you can make it at home!!!

Enjoy!!

Nicole

Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Banana Chunks
makes about one quart

1 ounce cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon corn starch
3 1/2 cups half and half
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt
2 ripe bananas, cut into small chunks and frozen or chilled
1/2 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts*

In the bottom of a medium bowl, whisk the cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth. Set aside. Prepare an ice bath in a larger bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the half and half, making sure the cornstarch is dissolved. Pour the rest of the half and half into a large pot and whisk in the sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and then simmer, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.

Remove from heat and whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Return the pot to medium-high heat, bring back to a boil, and cook for 1 more minute, stirring or whisking constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened.

Pour the milk mixture into the bowl with the cream cheese and peanut butter and whisk until everything is combined and smooth. Add the salt and vanilla. (While it's still warm, taste and decide if you'd like to add more peanut butter for a stronger flavor.) Set the bowl into the ice bath and cool, stirring every few minutes, until the liquid is thoroughly chilled. This should take about 25 minutes. It's even better if you can refrigerate it for several hours or overnight, but it should freeze fine after the ice bath if it's completely cool.

Freeze in an ice cream maker, adding the banana chunks and peanuts at the very end. Transfer the ice cream to a container and freeze for several hours until firm