Thursday, August 11, 2011

Eat, Drink and Be Married.

When my friend Julie got engaged at Christmas, we excitedly started talking 'wedding' talk. She asked me to make her wedding cake and I didn't hesitate to accept. Of course I can make her wedding cake! That would be SO much fun!! We had both dipped into more than a few glasses of wine by this point. About 3.4 seconds after this conversation took place I forgot about it.

Have I ever made a wedding cake? Nope. Do I know how to make a wedding cake? Nope. Give me a few drinks and I might tell you I can build a house too.

Spring came along and Julie asked me how the cake plans were coming. Doh!! The conversation came flooding back. I told her I would still go ahead and do it. After all, I had taken a couple of cake decorating classes. My basic round birthday cakes would be ample experience for this, right? That is when the anxiety started. What if it was hideous? What if it was disgusting? I felt too much pressure.

In July I talked it over with Julie. I suggested that I buy her cake instead, as my wedding gift. This would take the organizing off of her and the stress off of me. She agreed. Phew.

Jeannette's Custom Cakes to the rescue! Though I had never met Jeannette, I had been good friend's with her husband when we were teens and had been following her new cake business since it started. She is incredibly talented and I love all of her cakes. I was excited when I contacted her and she had Julie's wedding date available.

The wedding was this past weekend. A beautiful wedding, a beautiful bride and of course, a beautiful cake!! Big thanks to Jeannette. Big congrats to Julie and Joel too!!

Fingers crossed I never make another booze fueled decision. Lesson learned.


Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Icing. Yum.

(Seriously guys, check her out...there is also a link on the right side of your screen listed under "I also read...")




Favourite of the Day: I'm expanding my palatte this week, like a real grown up. I ate Sushi. SUSHI. Can you believe that? AND I liked it. I still can't get over it. I also ate Gorgonzola Gnocchi's and they were fabulous. What? I don't eat cream sauce on pasta. Or do I? ; )




.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Your booze fuelled decisions lead to my favourite stories. I need your schedule for the next 2 weeks!

Heidi said...

I remember the first time I had sushi. It was shortly after I moved to Florida. A group of my new refined friends took me out to a sushi joint and I was freaking out. RAW FISH?! ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDIN ME? This bumpkin does NOT do sushi.

Now I love the stuff. Get it all the time. I've even got a collection of fancy chopsticks.