Thursday, November 6, 2008

Superman was a Super Man

I spend a large portion of my week in close proximity with someone I'll call "McD".  She is someone I didn't really know until this summer, but it is surprising how much someone can affect you when you spend a lot of time together.  

McD is a negative, hateful person.  Her life theory is to hate people until they prove her reason to like them.  She will come right out and tell this to you.  No innocent until proven guilty for this girl.  Everyone is guilty until proven innocent.  She is bossy, controlling, opinionated and not the least bit shy. There are so many times in a day I hear things come out of her mouth and I am embarrassed for her.  Not that I should be - because she clearly isn't.  

I am not saying I never complain.  I do.  But on a whole I would say I am a positive person.  I try to see the good in people and "look on the bright side" whenever I can.   Though that becomes harder and harder to do when you are surrounded by hate.  

Normally I am a person who would express my opinion or challenge someone when they say something completely moronic.  But with McD I know it would be a lost cause and a never ending battle.  I bite my tongue so many times a day I can't believe it doesn't bleed.  

I cannot imagine a life like that.  At all.  I feel sorry for her in that sense.  Sorry that so little makes her happy and so little makes her smile.  Except for herself. She thinks she's quite funny.  Apparently hate is funny.  

Trying to see the bright side, as I claimed I do, I am viewing this as a learning experience.  McD is teaching me to be tolerant and wise.  Wise about choosing my battles and tolerant in choosing not to let her affect my mood and get inside my head.  It's hard.  Trust me.  But through her I am given a reality check.  A reminder of how I want my life to be and how I choose my reactions and responses.  

The cycle of life carries on through McD.  She has a child who she will raise to think like she does.  My hope for her (but mostly for her child) is that someday, somehow, she will learn to see the beauty in life; the beauty in people and the power of positive thinking.  It is something I hope, but sadly don't see happening.  However, hope can be a beautiful thing.  Christopher Reeves once said "Once you choose hope, anything is possible".  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are a very positive person. I adore you.

And I'm so sorry but I get a huge kick out of the fact that you work with someone who slept over at my house when I was a teen. Small world!