Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fishing in the Dark













Fishing in the Dark
By the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band





I love this song.  A lot. It's on my "shower" playlist on my iPod - which consists of songs that I sing to myself in the shower while pretending I'm starring in my own concert. If this were a real concert no one would go.  The songs on this playlist differ greatly in genre and theme. There is no flow.  It's for me and me only.  

So anyway - we played this song the other night when we went fishing in the dark.  I wasn't falling in love with anyone but it was still fitting.   Because really, how often do you actually fish in the dark? 

Fishing makes me think of three things: 

-Going up north to Wawa on fishing trips with my dad, uncles, brother, sister and cousins when I was a kid

-standing out on the Dock at McCarrell's Lake.  My dad and I wrapping balls of foil on the end of a fishing line and casting out into the moonlit sky to attract bats.  Then they would swoop around us as the foil reflected the light of the moon. 

-paddling in a canoe for countless hours on Lake Midgen with Emmlia and her Dad.  I had mosquito bitten, swollen eyes and a bad sun burn as we fished and followed a beaver aimlessly around the Lake, for a reason I don't seem to remember

All three of these things make me smile.  








2 comments:

rileigh said...

you weren't falling in love with anyone? i thought we kinda had a connection in the back seat....my bad.
i'm happy because now this song will also remind you of smelt fishing...and therefore you'll think of me in the shower.....hawt.

C.Flower said...

Sara! Sara! Again, you blow my mind.

I used to sing this song ever summer with my best friend SaraH. Folk singers used to gather under a wooden pavilion in the town were I grow up and sing this song.

They also sang, "Amy, whatcha gonna do? I think I could stay with you ..."

Rileigh: What's smelt fishing?