Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Livin' in a Hockey Town

Yesterday was the first Tuesday in a long time that I have not had to go to the rink. Our hockey season ended on Saturday. Though we didn't advance in the playoffs and our team ended in last place, our girls learned a lot throughout the year and I loved this team. From the beginning of the year to the end we were two different teams. I've coached more successful teams in the past, as far as standings go but I've never coached a more successful team off the ice. These girls got along so well and we had supportive parents, which is a huge relief. I would much rather lose with this team than win with a more challenging team.

My friend Dana and I have coached together for the past 7 years. Each year we learn more and figure out what works for us and what doesn't. I'm confident we get better and better as each year goes by. We've watched so many girls grow and develop as athletes and grow and develop as people. I like seeing them years later and remembering the days when they looked like Bambi on ice.
I was happy that this year, for the first time, I had the opportunity to coach my niece Ryea. I watched her start the season as a shy little girl who sat quietly in the corner by herself. By the end of the year she had come out of her shell. She would do things and say things and I felt like I was in a time warp, looking back at myself in 1989. She made friends on the team and turned in a goofy girl just having fun. I loved watching her make that transition.

Over the years, coaching has taught us a lot. We've faced many road blocks. We've learned to deal with critical parents, girls who are bullies and coaches of the other teams who make the season harder than it has to be.
Here are just some of the things we've learned along the way:

(1) At a very intense point of a game, when you've called a time-out to talk game strategy, it is important for a kid to tell you that you have the same watch as her mom.

(2) Kids are NOT afraid to tell you things their parents have said about you. My favorite sentence starts with "My dad thinks you...." Great. Tell your dad I said "Thanks for the tip"

(3) Kids know the lyrics to a lot of songs. Even songs they shouldn't. Ever hear 15 little girls singing 'Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy'? It's disturbing.

(4) It's not illogical for a kid to leave a game to pee. Even if it's the goalie - in the middle of a tournament.

(5) If a tennis ball inadvertently ends up on the ice during a game, a girl will stop dead in her tracks to return it to the stands. Because that is more important than the game in play.

(6) If you plan a whole practice to teach kids how to rebound, your very first step should be to explain what a rebound is. Don't assume they know what it is.

(7) If you ask a player "what they want to be" in reference to defense or forward, you should specify that. Otherwise the answer you will get is "a teacher".

(8) The BEST part of going on a tournament out of town has nothing to do with hockey. Pure joy is running around a hotel with your friends. Nothing beats this.

(9) I had no idea how cool Highschool Musical was. Now that I've heard all the songs and seen a few dance routines, I'm starting to understand.

(10) In all seriousness, I have learned real life lessons here. These kids accepted their losses at the end of the game. They tried their best and moved on. They didn't dwell and they weren't negative. They didn't let repeated losses get to them. They came to the rink ready to play and gave 100%. They skated their hearts out and never gave up.

In February we drove to a small town about an hour away. This team was 'out of our league' as far as skills go. They beat us 14-0. By about the 9th goal I was getting frustrated. I was feeling bad for the girls and worried they would get down on themselves. But they never did. They just kept trying each time they got on the ice. When the final buzzer rang they skated to the goalie cheering and screaming and jumped on her. I think partially because they were trying to cheer her up and partially for their simple love of the game.

Overall, hockey was something they wanted to do together as a team. They had fun and didn't care about the score. It was an experience they shared together. Each and every game. I know a few adults who could learn a thing or two from these kids.

I am sad to see the season end. I will miss the girls and can only hope to have such a great team next year.

"Oh, the good ole hockey game, it's the best game you can name.
And the best game you can name is the good ole hockey game!!"
-Stompin Tom





1 comment:

C.Flower said...

Nice! Ending the post with Stompin Tom!

I was a summer camp counselor with my best friend Sarah (with an H) for six glorious years. I miss working with kids. I miss dodge ball and karaoke contests.

This post took me back to those days, as well as my days spent on a soccer bus, heading to games in remote hillbilly towns.