Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mario + Luigi = Amy + Sara

When my sister Amy got married, I was happy for her, of course. But I was also sad she was moving out of the house. I wish I had some heartfelt, touching reason for feeling this way. But the truth is - I just wanted someone to play Sega with.

We spent many nights playing "Lion King" in my parents basement. This game was a little gem that didn't get the spotlight it deserved. We grew an obsession together trying to conquer one level after another. I remember one level specifically where Simba had to jump on logs to climb up a waterfall. We must have tried to beat this at least 100 times. The glorious day we finally did - you'd have thought we just won the Superbowl.

Tonight I was brought back to those happier times. She introduced me to the new Super Mario on Nintendo Wii. Unfortunately we bring out the addict in one another and become obsessed. We can play for hours and we don't know how to stop. That being said, I'm proud to announce that in Level 6 - we beat Bowser - that prick. It only took us a million attempts and the collaborative work of both Mario and Luigi.

The funniest part of tonight was that I patiently waited until her kids went to bed so we didn't have to play with them. Like any normal adult, I didn't want to share the Nintendo....with CHILDREN.

When Amy got married and moved out many years ago, a little part of me died. (I think it was the thumb part of me). But tonight I was taken back 15 years and it was awesome.

My thumbs are back, baby. And thankfully I no longer own the coloured jeans I did back then.










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Luigi - oops I mean Sara. I left you a message this weekend to come over again (once the kids went to bed) so you could play with me. Wish you could have cuz that was fun. I was getting frustrated cuz I just could not seem to get to that coveted castle at the halfway point of Level 7. The kids got out of bed, came downstairs and were sitting beside me begging me to let them play. No way kids! I worked my way this far, I'm going to kill that gnarly Bowser if it's the last thing I do!!!! And so I did. See? There's me trying to make my little sister proud. So when are you coming over.......

Heidi said...

When Amy got married and moved out many years ago, a little part of me died. (I think it was the thumb part of me...)

You're so clever and funny. :)