Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oh, Tom Selleck

A few weeks ago my mom and I went to an auction. We had no idea what to expect but I was excited. When we walked in we could hear the auctioneer and he sounded just like you're thinking he would. He was talking really fast and you could only make out every 5th word or so. We each got a fancy number to use for bidding. And by fancy - I mean a piece of paper with a number written on it with marker.

It took place in a huge banquet room which had all the auction items around the room with rows of chairs throughout the middle. Upon walking around the room we quickly realized it was a glorified garage sale. There was a ton of crap with the odd awesome thing mixed in. My initial thought was that people were there for the furniture and had to patiently wait for the useless junk to get auctioned off first. I should have known better and realized people will buy anything. ANYTHING. Like a basket of doilies. Or hideous hand stitched bird pictures. Not that I should talk because wait until you see what I bought.

We were sitting at the back of the room so when the guy held up the item he called "a wooden family". I was intrigued. I couldn't really see it well, but it sounded pretty cool. He started the bids at $5.00. No bites. He dropped it down to $1.00. I really wanted to experience the auction and get to use my fancy bidding number, so I bid. Someone bid $1.00 so I went for $2.00. And I won!! The immediate words out of my mother's mouth were: "What the hell are you doing?"

But then they brought me my wooden family. And I loved them.
CHECK OUT THESE MOUSTACHES!






































I like imagining the history behind these little guys. Where did they come from? Who owned them? I smile just thinking about it. No, actually, I laugh because they are pretty ridiculous - in an awesome way.

I'm pretty sure I'll never go to another one of these weird auctions. I'm quite content with the experience and the new moustache friends I got out of it.


Favourite of the Day: I just had to google how to spell moustache.




2 comments:

Heidi said...

You're adorable. Of course you bid on a wooden family. I can't think of a cooler auction item to go home with. One day you'll end up on "Antiques Road Show", where you'll learn your little wooden family is worth $10,000.

Is that not a Sara story, or what?

Sara said...

Ha! That is totally a Sara Story.