Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you?

Today marks the only "where were you" conversation that happens during my lifetime so far. Our parents generation have the JFK, John Lennon and Elvis conversations.

We have the 9-11 conversation.

I was lying in bed. I woke up to the sound of my dad's employees in the kitchen. What? The staff doesn't go in the kitchen? They only go in the basement - where the office is. In my pajamas, I made my way to the kitchen to check out what everyone was watching on the television. I normally would never hang out with the staff in my pajamas, but this was an exception.

I was going to LSSU then. I had class that day. But cross the international border to go the Unites States? I don't think so. Instead I stayed in front of the t.v all day. A day I'll never forget.

My stomach was sick thinking of what was going on right before my eyes. And I knew I couldn't even comprehend the magnitude of it all.

Could anyone?The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men.
-Henry David Thoreau




2 comments:

Anna said...

I remember very clearly too... I was in my intro to Japanese course at Carleton, we had just had our mini break snd someone came running in to tell us... We continued class not quite believing him. I remember the dorm. Everyone was huddled around the 20 inch floor tv... All of us afraid of what might happen next, afraid that we were all away from our loved ones...
I remember almost every detail of that day... Sad...

Cheese Makes Me Happy! said...

I was at work in the back room listening to it all on my Walkman. Originally there was talk of up to 25,000 people being in those two buildings. I could not believe it, and still can't nine years later. The images of all hose people holding up pictures looking for their loved ones is etched in my mind. Something that I will never forget, and shouldn't.

Today should be a day of remembrance. I'm hoping that a nutbag in Florida will not take away from that. I'm also hoping that people will remember that it was a few extremists, and not a whole religion that caused this horrible anniversary.