Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Skinnamarink

I have been MIA lately.  Here is what I've been doing:
  • Washing the faces of 5 kittens, multiple times a day.  Trying to avoid them spreading their eye infections
  • Vet appointments (two days/two vets)
  • Administering eye drops to Lenny and Rudy, the two with eye infections
  • Administering antibiotics, via syringe to Rudy and Winnie Cooper.  They have both figured out they hate this and this has become a battle. I have to wrap their body's in a towel, only exposing their face.  Then I shove the syringe in their mouth as fast as I can before they lose their minds.  This is super fun.
  • Setting up a vaporizer and herding cats in the bathroom while I shower to expose them to steam to hopefully ease their congestion.  So far, unsuccessful.
  • Massaging their bums with warm, wet cotton balls to 'stimulate' them to poop.  Read that again - that's right - I am rubbing their butt holes.  Can you believe that? It's not even working.  These little guys are majorly backed up.
  • Purchasing special baby bottles and formula for kittens.  Rudy is not gaining weight and I suspect it is because he has lost his sense of smell (and probably appetite) and cannot find his mother.  He will not take the bottle.  Failure #3
I am slowly going crazy 1-2-3-4-5-6 switch.  Crazy going slowly am I 6-5-4-3-2-1 switch*. 

I hope to report back soon with good news and that all this craziness was worth it. 


*There's some Sharon, Lois and Bram for you. I bet you have that song in your head now. You're welcome. Random fact: When this singing trio were in their prime, I'm pretty sure I was their #1 fan.  Just ask my brother and sister, who probably had to endure family rides in our Station Wagon while performing Skinnamarink"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed that all those wild kittens get better soon!

Gillian said...

You're a good kitty-mum. Did you find out what is wrong with the wonky leg? When I was little, probably 1986 or 87, I got to see Sharon, Lois, & Bram live in Toronto. I was SOOOO EXCITED. Then we got there, listened to a few songs and I quickly realized Elephant wasn't going to be making an appearance - I made my mum leave I was so upset. This might be where my cynicism stems from... Damn Elephant.

Heidi said...

I knew immediately what you were getting at when you said you were massaging kitten ass holes. Growing up, I remember a woman who lived across the street from my ex-boyfriend once took in a litter of squirrels. (Do squirrels come in litters? I don't know.) To get them to poo, she demonstrated (very calmly and coolly I might add) how she rubbed their little bungholes until they pooped. I found it both disturbing and educational.

I'm with ya 100 percent on the Elephant Show reference. If you were their No. 1 fan, I was No. 2.

fuzzwuzz said...

A possum once gave birth in my suitcase at summer camp and while eating through it's plasenta, also ate all of my clothing....just thought you should now. Oh and sorry about the spelling...I guess I don't learn good, I'm not pie equals mc squared smart, more like one plus one equals three smart.