Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cheese Please!!

My friend Brent has been home for a few weeks now, but we were unable to hang out because I got shingles. Finally today we were both free and wanted to make plans to see each other.   Brent asked if we could go over to Michigan.  I wondered why.  He said he had to pick up a few things to bring back to his friends in Toronto.  Besides having to make a pit stop at the ever wonderful "Bath and Body Works", his friends had made a special request.  Something you can only find in the US: Spray can cheese.  

Of course I am going to hook up my friend with cheese in a can!! I thought he was buying it as a mockery, but he said that in fact, he actually liked it.  I'll have to take is word for it.  

After a delicious Thai lunch at my favourite restaurant we found ourselves some "Easy Cheese-It"  Surprisingly, it only costs $1.98 to buy aerosol cheese.  

I was happy to catch up with him today.  We've been friends since we met at Sunday School when we were four.  I remember peering over at him during church, when, at probably the only time in our lives we were at eye level with eachother, I could see him reciting the Lords Prayer perfectly in sync with all the adults.  I was amazed.  How did he know this?  None of the other kids had learned this yet. There seemed to be a theme here.  Skip ahead to highschool when I peered over at Brent, now much taller, completing math equations with ease that were far beyond my comprehension.  Luckily, Brent was there to tutor me.  We sat on the floor of his basement for hours as he prepared me for our last exam.  I passed that class - no doubt because of him. 

Our days together at church ended long ago and a lot has changed in our lives since then. (Though today we did laugh about our grade nine confirmation classes when I had my 'Amanda Zimm' haircut from Ready Or Not).  

I am glad Brent is a person in my life who, though I don't get to see him often, reconnects with me like we never missed a beat.  It's just a bonus that he is also a friend who wants to cross international borders on a quest for cheese.    


 

  

2 comments:

mirella. said...

At least you had Amanda Zimm hair and not Busy Ramone hair.
LOOK AT THAT MOP!!!!
(Great show, though!)

Natasha said...

Brentie! You just brought back a bunch of memories for me.