Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Trends

What do you think we are doing now, that will make us look back in 20 years and laugh? What is it about our hairstyles and our clothes that will have us pointing to our girlfriends and cracking up in the future?

I am assuming my mother actually liked her bridesmaid dresses the day she picked them out - though it's hard to imagine. Actually, not even my mother... just going back to when my brother got married in 1995 - I look at our bridesmaid dresses and question our fashion sense. I think you need to close your eyes and imagine this lovely creation. It was a hunter green two piece dress. It had shoulder pads. Shoulder pads!! It had a blazer-like top with gold/pearl buttons down the front and a long ankle length skirt. Sounds lovely, doesn't it?

Going to weddings now I always think the dresses are beautiful. I can't imagine how we could make fun of them in the future. But I am confident we will.

And what about hair? Hair styles change so drastically over time. Teased bangs are always a classic icon of the 80's. I remember days of watching my sister tease and spray her hair and longing for the day I could do that too. HA! I remember being in grade nine and parting my hair to the side and spraying a little cow-lick type comb over along the front. One day I ran out of hairspray and didn't even know how to handle the situation. Why? Why would we do that?

I can't grasp what it is that I do today that will make me laugh at myself in the future. Is it the popular use of hair straighteners? Are we going to mock our desire for smooth straight hair? Is it the colours I like? I do enjoy me some high-lighting and low-lighting. But it's nothing crazy or unconventional, or so I think NOW.

Remember in the 90's when everyone was getting the "Rachel" haircut? And men were getting the "Clooney"? That is funny. When I watch old episodes of 'Friends' I think back to highschool days when people came to school sporting their new do. Who will be the next hair icon?

I have flashbacks of Jelly Shoes, (which were awesome except that rocks always got stuck in them), Duck Boots, Vuarnet, Club Monaco, SunIce jackets, slap bracelets....so many things that were trends at one time or another.

I just had a good flashback of gimp. GIMP!! Remember that? What a funny word just to say out loud. But I remember being SO excited to go to the craftstore and getting to pick out new colours of gimp. So many choices and possibilities...oh, the leisure life.


There is no doubt in my mind Crocs will be a big mockery. To some they are now, but not to all. In due time though.

I don't know what else. I look forward to finding out.

Thoughts?

***Editors Note: A friend pointed out that I forgot Ugg's!! Of course!! Yes, we will unite to make fun of Ugg's - there is no doubt in my mind.


Favourite of the Day: I thoroughly enjoyed on Y&R when crazy Mary-Jane had to tell Adam her cat was actually dead and she had it stuffed. It's not my proudest moment that the best part of my day was actually a story line in a soap opera. But what can I say? I'm easily amused.

I WISH my favourite of today was that Linsay won Next Top Model, but she didn't. So - stuffed cat confession it is.

6 comments:

mirella. said...

This post made me laugh so hard.
I remember everything (except Vuarnet??) but some of that might be because of my older sisters, who (as you know) are both around your age.

I thoroughly enjoyed slap bracelets & jelly shoes, lemme tell ya!
I agree about the Crocs. I think Rainn Wilson said it best when he said (via Twitter) "I'm going to buy a pair of crocs so I can melt them down and pour them as molten liquid into the eyes of whoever invented them."

Also, sorry to hear you're disappointed that Linsay lost Canada's Next Top Model, but I'm very glad that Meaghan won!
(I loved Maryam, actually, but Meaghan was my next choice!)

Giggles said...

I think that crocs are a laughable trend right now. I feel embarrassed for those people that wear them, even though they prance around proudly in them!

P.S. I didn't get to see the finale of CNTM yet, I'm sad now that I know who won.

Sara said...

Sorry "Giggles"!! Though I didn't spill the beans on who won...you just know who didn't win!! : )

Anonymous said...

Ahhh gimp..When I took the Girl Guide's camping this year I made gimp bracelets with them and they LOVED it. Maybe along with skinny jeans and neon, gimp is making a comeback with the 9 to 12 year old crowd??

Giggles said...

Yes Sara, sorry to have implied that you spilled the beans! Thanks Mirella!

Heidi said...

I thought Crocs were a mockery until my poor pregnant friend waddled past me in a pair. Her swollen feet will only fit in Crocs. They're ghastly shoes, but she managed to find a cute pair of Croc "ballet flats."

Her feet still looked like fat sausages, but at least she could go to the grocery store in something other than slippers.