Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Just call me Elliott

In the past week I've spent two nights sitting in the ER. What a place. Similar to the day I sat in the airport people watching, I again sat and wondered what brought everyone to the hospital. But people watching in an airport is quite different than people watching in a hospital. Often, people in an airport are happy; either to be leaving home or arriving back at home. On the contrary, no one is happy to be in the hospital waiting room.

My first trip there I walked into a room full of correctional officers surrounding two men in full shackles, covered in blood. Great - a jail fight. Then came in a little girl, maybe four, staring at these 'scary' men looking terrified. I wondered what her mother would tell her. Next in, a mother with a baby, screaming loudly and without pause. I felt bad for the mother who couldn't console him. So sad.

My second trip there, just last night, the waiting room was completely full. As everyone sat there quietly in came this lady who was so drunk she peed her pants. As the annoyed security guard told her again to sit down and be quiet she looked up at him and said "You have sexy eyes" and I cracked up. She was obviously a regular there as the nurses, security guard and a passing police officer knew her by name. I guess she's a frequent flyer. No doubt the hospital has many of those.

There was also a woman who brought in a friend and was waiting with her. After sitting there awhile, she decided to take a number too. The nurse saw this and asked if she needed to see someone too. She replied "Well, I'm here right? I may as well get some new prescriptions". What? This is the EMERGENCY ROOM. There are actual sick and injured people here. Like the doctors have nothing better to do. But hey - she's here right? Why not make the wait for everyone else longer. Pure logic right there.

The poor staff who work there. Doctors, nurses and even security...oh the stories they could tell.

I felt like I was in an episode of Scrubs. Except I didn't crack jokes with the funny janitor - thus catching the eye of Zach Braff causing him to fall in love with me. That's how it pans out in my fantasy - in case you were wondering.

By the way - I had full intentions of posting pictures of my progressing shingles. Until it occurred to me that strangely, not everyone wants to see that. It's hard for me to imagine that some people wouldn't be curious to see this burning rash of mine. You don't like that? I could also offer you snap shots of my strep throat. No? Not interested in that either? What's wrong with you?



Favourite of the Day: My grandma left a message on my machine last night. I just listened to it this morning and it made me laugh. They always do. She just talks as though there is someone on the other end but doesn't know how to end the message. So she doesn't. She just finishes a sentence then hangs up. I wish there was a way I could record it. She is so cute.




This is my cute grandma. And a doll that my cousin Jeff found that looks just like her.
Isn't it awesome?





5 comments:

Heidi said...

Ah! Your shingles haven't cleared up yet? Are you in the puss/scab stage yet? I'm so sorry for your weakened immune system! Did you have chicken pox as a kid? Remember how parents used to infect their children with chicken pox so they'd get it out of their system. Like if one kid had the pox, mom would shove her other kids into bed with him so all three would get the pox? This is just friggen cruel and unusual punishment. Maybe my mom and her friends were the only ones who did this ...

BTW: Your cousin Jeff is very clever. The little Grandma doll is precious! It makes me talk in a high-pitched granny voice that could also be mistaken for a witch.

mirella. said...

Hey, that's how I make Zach Braff fall in love with me in my fantasies, too!
I have also spent time at said hospital and I can 100% agree with you that there are some INTERESTING folk there every day. Then again, I'm sure there's interesting folk at any hospital in the world on any given day.

I can't handle the grandma/doll picture. It's too cute!

GIGGLES said...

Funny, the last time I was in the emergency room, there was a "prisoner" there too, but no blood.

When my brother got the chicken pox, my mom made me sit beside right beside him and hug him so I'd get the chicken pox too! A few days later, I had the pox too!

Heidi said...

I have a Zach Braff fantasy story. Lemme see if it lives online ...

I wrote it a couple years ago for Joe's newspaper.

I FOUND IT! A-HA! It only took 30 minutes of online sleuthing.

http://sarasota.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A120950

Look for "Pimp my publicity." I wrote it before Joe and I started dating. To think, he edited this nonsense and kissed me a week later!

Anonymous said...

My daughter Sara had shingles very bad; had to have scars removed. They suck. Anywho...a comment on people leaving messages that are cute; my mother does not have voice mail and just started leaving messages; she's almost 78. She would leave a very good message and end it with "Love, Mom." Cracks me up and brings a tear to my eye every time. So cute.