Friday, February 12, 2010

Red and Gold Forever

They've started construction to tear down my highschool. I shouldn't be sad about this, but I am. I graduated from highschool 12 years ago and guess how many times I've been back inside it since? ZERO. So, it's not like I'm going to miss strolling through the hallways reminiscing of the good ol' days. I'm not. I guess I'm sad about the lost opportunity, had I ever chosen to do that.

I know some people set foot out of highschool and never look back. But I am not one of them. I look back on those five years with a smile on my face. (And if you're American and reading this...I am not an idiot...Ontario had 5 years of highschool back then).

Think of who you were that first weary day of grade nine as you nervously tried to find your way, then think of who you were the day you wrote your last exam and walked away with your head held high - It's unbelievable what can change in such short amount of time. Amazing, really.

There are millions of memories hidden inside that building. Belonging to the thousands and thousands of students who grew up there...and even to the ones who never grew up at all.  They can tear down the building, but I hope the memories we all take away always stand tall. 

Regardless of what school goes up in its place, red and gold will always bleed a little magic in my heart.  Once a Brave, always a Brave. 

No comments: