Saturday, February 27, 2010

How $0.25 = A million bucks

I once lent out my favourite book. This was a stupid move on my part, only because I have no idea who I lent it to. It is my nature to forget everything and I should have known that would happen. I was very sad about this. While I'm not one of those crazy book people, I certainly cherish the ones I love.

Luckily, one day this past summer, I went to Richards Landing for an art festival. For anyone who doesn't know, Richards Landing is the cutest town in Ontario. It is perfectly suited with an ice cream parlour, a marina, a used book store and little gift shops filled with treasures. It is my version of Stars Hollows. (And I'm Lorelai, not Rory - minus the awful speedy banter).

They had little tables set up selling everything from hand knit mittens, homemade jam, wooden signs, pottery - a storybook setting for a hot summer day. I came across a table of used books. I shuffled through them and shockingly stumbled upon my favourite book. AND it was in mint condition for a mere quarter. A quarter.

I know it was meant to be. I loved this book so much it found its way back to me.

It is called "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. If you haven't read it yet - you should. And if you're silly enough to ask if you can borrow mine - no, you can't.


Favourite of the Day: Experiencing the most satisfying real-life pee after a horendous pee dream.

4 comments:

Kat said...

I will never think of Richard's Landing the same again. I'll be Rory.

Heidi said...

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

This is one of my favorites as well. (Of course.)

Did you know Wally has a new one out? Well, it's not really new. It was published a couple years ago, but it took him like 10 years to write a third piece of fiction. It's called "The Hour I First Believed." I haven't read it yet, but it's on my radar.

Heidi said...

PS. Nothing beats a good pee.

Amy said...

I think you lent your book to me.