Sunday, June 20, 2010

#4

There are few hockey fans who wouldn't know who made #4 a distinction in the sport. Just as Gretzky made 99 the most recognizable number in hockey, Bobby Orr earned #4 as his own. He is a hockey legend known as one of the greatest defensemen to ever play the game and I was lucky enough to meet him last weekend.



Chevrolet and Hockey Canada are hosting Safe and Fun Hockey Festivals in three cities across Canada this year. The program is developed to create "a positive attitude towards healthy competition, co-operative teamwork, fair play and grace under pressure". Bobby Orr is the ambassador and huge supporter of the cause. I was honoured to be accepted as 1 of 15 volunteer coaches for one of the events held last Saturday. Initially, I was excited to not only meet him, but to have the opportunity to coach with him on the ice. I quickly learned it was more than his hockey skills that made him such an amazing person.

While I did enjoy the activities on the ice with the kids (I love that they did not use pucks on the ice, but instead rubber chickens) I was in awe of the way he handled himself off the ice. Clearly, he was the centre of attention amongst hundreds of people in the crowd. Camera flashes were non-stop and he gave autograph after autograph. He never once appeared annoyed or impatient. He made a point to call every kid by name, to take pictures with every single child in the program AND was sure to include their siblings or parents in pictures as well. He took time to acknowledge the coaches and thank us. What? Bobby Orr was thanking me?? Crazy. He was sincere, genuine and down-to-earth.

He held off ice sessions with the kids and spoke separately to their parents to deliver an important message. To the kids, he spoke of respect and responsibility - a theme carried throughout the entire day. He spoke to the parents to encourage them to let kids be kids. To let them play the game, to enjoy it and have fun. To be respectful of teammates, coaches and each other. It was awesome. A message that every athletic program needs.

The team of people that planned and carried out the event ran a tight ship and it was impressive. Everything ran smoothly and was extremely organized. Remarkable, considering there was close to one hundred kids ranging from 5-8 years old participating. Obviously a well practiced crew and their professionalism showed.

All in all, it was an amazing experience. A once in a lifetime opportunity I'm grateful to have had. (And as if all this wasn't enough, they also gave all the coaches Bauer warm-up suits!)


Bobby and I

On the ice...




1 comment:

Heidi said...

I'm showing Joe this post when I get home. I didn't know who Bobby Orr was when you first mentioned him a few weeks ago. (I know. I'm so out of the sports loop.) But I read your post out loud to Joe and he was like, "Really? Bobby Orr? That's AWESOME."