Monday, August 31, 2009

Big is not Better

The other day I watched the episode of Sex and the City where Charlotte marries Trey.

I love this episode. I hate this episode. I've been thinking about it ever since.

I love this episode because of Aidan and the "Love Knot". When he makes the bench for Charlotte and points out the knot in the wood may be seen to some as an imperfection, but in the eyes of the others makes it that much more beautiful. You love people despite their imperfections. In fact, you love people because of them.

I hate this episode because Carrie cheats on Aidan with Big. She comes clean to Aidan and breaks his heart. It's awful and sadly, realistic. Sometimes the right choice can be in front of you, offering you a lifetime of happiness. But lurking in the background is the choice you know is the bad choice. The wrong decision, but also the one that steers your heart. While your head knows what you should do, human nature leads you to follow your heart. What you should do is not always what you want to do. Life doesn't always make sense.

At the end of the episode Carrie is left on the sidewalk alone as Aidan walks away. Both of them shattered. She returns to her friends saying something along the lines that she wants someone to love her for who she truly is, despite the bad choices she makes. Then she realizes, she already has that - times three...in Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte.

I think everyone needs that in their life. I hope everyone has that in their life. Someone to love you, no matter what. Friends that stand by you, but most of all don't judge you. It may be a friend that is honest and tells you what you don't want to hear, but ultimately loves you just the same.

Friendship like that is a blessing. Thinking of that episode made me think of the Miranda's, Charlotte's and Samantha's I have of my own. I know I have people in my life that won't judge me that I can completely 100% confide in. Finding that fit is not something to take for granted. It is like a diamond - hard to find and something to treasure.

I am a lucky girl.

Also, I love Aidan. I hate Big.


Favourite of the Day: Tonight I am having dinner with one of my Miranda/Charlotte/Samantha friends and I'm happy about that.

1 comment:

*rileigh said...

i love youuuuuu!

(i also love big though, so please forgive me? i don't think we've ever discussed this, but it shouldn't surprise you considering my choices in men)