Monday, August 24, 2009

Siskel, Ebert and Sara

Today I am outlining what I consider to be the top ten movies that will always stick with me. To clarify, it does not necessarily mean I think they were the best. But instead, they are movies that had an effect on me. They were powerful. For some, they made me stop and say "whoa" while for others, I just think they are great movies.

Here we go:

(1) Silence of the Lambs – I listed this first because it’s predictable. Just an all-around good movie. Good storyline - great actors. No need to summarize anything here.

(2) Shawshank Redemption – This appears on every top movie list for a reason – it was awesome. Again, great writers, great actors. Even though this movie has a dark side (suicide, murder, prison, deceit) it is more so about friendship, hopes, dreams and determination. And who didn't fall in love with Brooks when they watched this? Sweet old men get me every time.

(3) Deliver Us From Evil - If you are into documentaries, this one blew my mind. It tells the true story of a pedophile Priest and the corruption within the Catholic church. While the church was aware of what he was doing to young children, for over 30 years they went to great lengths to cover it up. It is horrific and eye opening. The film will leave you with a heavy heart while shaking your head in disbelief. It's with pure disgust that I remind myself this is a true story.

(4) Life is Beautiful - (An italian film with subtitles) I love this movie SO SO much. The storyline begins in the Holocaust during WWII. To compensate for their hard life in the concentration camp, a father makes his young son believe they are participating in a game and the first prize is a ride on a tank. It summarizes so many of my own feelings towards life regarding perspective, optimism, hope and imagination. Roberto Benigni was OUTSTANDING in this movie and his Oscar acceptance speech made me completely fall in love with him.

(5) American Beauty - This movie makes you think, which I like. Also, Kevin Spacey is awesome. What I love about the story is summarized at the end when he says "...there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst...and then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain."

(6) Kids - This movie is messed up and disturbing. It bothered me for days after seeing it. It follows young teenagers growing up in poverty in New York City. The scenes convey drugs, sex, violence, alcohol and disease (HIV)...and never lets you forget that it is KIDS living the lifestyle. It briefly took me out of my naive little bubble, where I had no idea that people, let alone KIDS, actually live like this. I will gladly stay in that bubble of mine but sometimes you need to be exposed to harsh reality to appreciate your own life. This movie is so disturbing that when I worked I Blockbuster, they didn't even carry it. The one plus? Chloe Sevigny is in it and I think she's awesome.

(7) American History X - Edward Norton doesn't seem like the most fun guy in the world - but you can't argue he's not talented. He's in a lot of good movies and he was nominated for 7 awards for this film . Someone summarized this movie like this; "United by hate, divided by truth. See reality in your eyes when hate makes you blind". Another dark film filled with racism and hate. What is wrong with me? Well, whatever - it was good.

(8) The Notebook - I wouldn't be a girl if I didn't have a true love story in my top ten. This movie is touching and just plain sweet; I loved every minute of it. I also really love flashback movies that come together at the end like this one does. There are days in my life I am cynical about love but then I watch movies like this and all hope is restored. It made me laugh and cry and my heart swelled with delight.

(9) Little Miss Sunshine - When this quirky family takes a road trip across the country to attend a beauty pageant, they take you along for a ride. It made me smile and the ending just cracked me up. Plus, Steve Carell? Awesome. Abigail Breslin? Awesome.

(10) Requiem For A Dream - a twisted movie about people with drug addiction spiraling out of control. Why do I like this movie? No idea. But I do.


Looking at this list there is an underlying theme to many of these. I am quite surprised at how many are dark and twisted. Apparently I like dark and twisted. Great.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Great list, dude. I'm loving that you included Little Miss Sunshine.

I've wanted to see Kids for awhile. Agree with your Chloe S. sentiment.

Silence of The Lambs makes my skin crawl.

Have you seen Amelie? My personal fave.

Sara said...

I have not seen Amelie...but I'd really like to. I am going to - soon. I just decided that.

Also - I wanted to tell you wolves and wolverines are not the same thing.

Wolverines are crazy looking little buggers. Scary things. I'm pretty sure no one should be catching them.

mirella. said...

I agree, great list!
And I also agree with Heidi that Silence of the Lambs makes my skin crawl... I saw it when I was 10 (because my sister's rented it and made me watch it with them... and Pet Semetary) and I had nightmares for YEARS... YEAAAAARS
And it's the reason that I still can't look at Anthony Hopkins.

Also, I have Amelie on DVD if you care to borrow! hahaha

Amber said...

Amelie is one of the things that inspired my minor obsession with gnomes!

My list would include Swingers, Empire Records, the Exorcist, the Long Kiss Goodnight, Fallen and a Cool, Dry Place (little known movie, one of the few where Vince Vaughn doesn't look like an arrogant ass!)