Sunday, August 16, 2009

Thankful

There is no real point to this blog, except to say this:

I am so happy to live in a city where traffic stops for funerals and emergency vehicles. I don't know if big city folks experience this (if you live in a big city...or any city really - please reply because I'd like to know).

One of my best friend's is a paramedic in Toronto and she has told me that driving an ambulance through Toronto traffic is awful and people do not give them the right of way. Horrible.

Yesterday was a busy Saturday afternoon and as I was driving through town I saw a funeral procession. I was so pleased to see everyone pull over and wait. It is nice to have that still moment where life just stops to pay respect to someone who has passed.

I live in a good place. And I like that.

Favourite(s) of the Day: Two things: (1) Winning 2nd place in my women's finals today!! (2) After spending the last two nights sleeping in a tent, I am quite happy to be in my warm, soft bed listening to a rainstorm and ready for dreamland. Goodnight.

4 comments:

Kat said...

In Taipei, people don't even seem to notice ambulances!! The other night I cringed watching one coming down the road at full speed, sirens blaring while scooter tires/brakes squealed all around it. I was just waiting for another accident to happen right there.

I know just what you mean, being thankful for the thoughtful patience of complete strangers.

I don't think drivers are rude here...it's just big city driving mentality and too much else happening all around.

Just so you know, I faithfully read your blog and love it. You've made me LOL on a number of different occasions.

:o) katrina

Nila said...

Oh, Sara, I am so glad you brought this up. Despite the few drunk drivers we read about, I love this city too. I live in the country, outside this city SO...I occasionally test people and they NEVER let me down. I go shopping, get groceries go to the bank and every single person I meet, I look in the eyes and smile and every single one smiles back, and/or says Hello, or nods, or actually starts talking like they know me, or just strikes up a conversation about the weather. It's such a nice feeling to know that we live in such a friendly city. Great topic. I held the door for a young gentleman a week or two ago, shaved head, tattoos, he said "Thank you", then when we reached the second set of doors, he said, "And again." We both arrived at our vehicles at the same time and his license plate said something like, "co-exist". It was a pleasure to meet this young man and I hope he has a wonderful life.

Amber said...

I want you to know that I woke up thinking of you this morning. I had a pee dream, and I woke up "thankful" I wasn't one of those people who really pee while having a pee dream.

Then I cracked up and thought of you and your fun blog. I miss you, can we be friends sometime soon?

mirella. said...

I honestly think we might be one of the only cities that stops for funeral processions!
When my grandfather passed away, we had family come up from southern Ontario and they were amazed to see vehicles stopping and construction workers stop and take their hats off. They said they'd never experienced anything like that at home.

We do live in a GREAT place! :o)