Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Teeter - Totter

It's my last night in life in my 20's.  Tomorrow I turn 30 and I feel like I am on a teeter-totter. I'm wavering between feeling good about the positive in my life and dwelling on the negative.  I usually try to be the 'glass half full' type girl, but some days I just want to be the 'it's my party and I'll cry if I want to' girl.  

I've been thinking about/dreading turning 30 for the past year.  But as I sit here on the eve of the fateful day, I know that logically it is just another day.  However it is hard not to reflect on the journey of life. Where you are ~ where you thought you'd be ~ where you'd like to be.  

Today I started to think about where I was 10 years ago and what changed in my life during my 20's.  At the age of 20 I was going to school at Lake Superior State University.  I thought I was on my way to becoming a teacher - and I was happy about that.   Then I turned 21.  That was a hard year - my hardest actually.  I was struck by a sudden onset of panic attacks and developed an anxiety disorder. I struggled with this more than anything else in my life.  I almost quit school.  I didn't, but I did give up on my dream of being a teacher.  Thankfully, my struggle with anxiety didn't last long.  I graduated that year and was lucky to find a full time job where I still work today.  

When I turned 22, I dreamed of living the life of Felicity - frankly, because I watch too much t.v. So I moved out of my parents house and got an apartment with my friend Lauren.  We lived together for a year.  What a crazy but fun year.  I grew up that year though.  Being on my own was a lesson.  

At 23 I decided paying a mortgage was better than paying rent.  So I bought a house. 

Turning 24 must not have been that exciting.  I can't remember anything awesome.  I bet something really cool happened though.  

When I was 25, I thought letting a stranger from China move into my house five minutes after I met him would be an awesome thing to do. So I did.  If you don't know about Roy, you can read that story here.  

The year I turned 26 my friend Dana moved in.  That was a year full of adventures.  None that I would say were good adventures - but they were adventures nonetheless.  It was a series of events that I would not have predicted happening in a million years.  But they did. We dealt with them together. We grew together and in the end, all was well.  Invaluable life lessons.

From that point on, until now, I have not had any major changes in my life.  But I continue to be me - always busy and enjoying the company of the fantastic people I have in my life.  Many of my friends have gotten married (and oh I love weddings!!), some have had children (that I've grown to love dearly), new people have entered my life and some have left too.  I have loved watching my nieces grow from infants into their own little people.  I've travelled.  I've laughed. And while there have been hard times or sad times, for the most part I've had fun.  

In writing this tonight, I've decided I'm teetering, not tottering.  I need not to think of what I don't have, but remember what I do. Life is good.  I have nothing to complain about.  I await what adventures my 30's will bring.  



Life is short.  Be silly and enjoy the ride. 






































Favourite of the Day:  I had a good chat with Natasha and then my mom made a wicked, restaurant worthy dinner (pasta with grilled chicken, roasted red peppers and almonds covered in a white wine/cream sauce).




5 comments:

Boy Mom said...

What fun reading your blog, Natasha was right about you.

Happy Birthday!

Sonia said...

Not many people can make me laugh the way you do. You have a wonderful life Sara. Teeter away.
:)

Giggles said...

Turning 30 last year scared me. I was only focused on the number. Now that my first year in my 30's is coming to an end, I have accepted it (like I have a choice). I don't lie about my age, however if people "guess" that I'm younger, I don't disagree!

Age is just a number, it doesn't define you. Teeter away Sara and embrace your 30's! You only get better with age.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Heidi said...

30 is the new 25. Dont' fret it. I've got a W magazine in my bathroom with a 76-year-old Demi Moore on the cover. She looks like a Madame Tussauds wax figure all she can talk about is Twitter.

Anyway. My point is: if Demi can bring it at 102, you can bring it at 30. And you're way funnier, smarter and cooler than Demi.

Natasha said...

Heidi's comment slayed me. One of my favourite comedic devices used there.

Hey, someone said I was right about you and I don't even know who she is. Cool! So, she comments on your blog and not mine. Ha. That's hilarious.

Any day I talk to you is one of my faves. I'm surprised you haven't linked to your celebratory post. I'd brag if it was me.