Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A goodbye message

There was a blog I wrote back in July. (You should go read it) It was about a day spent with my friend Brent. Tragically and unexpectedly, Brent passed away on Friday. Since hearing of this I have been overwhelmed with sadness and disbelief. I am writing this blog to say goodbye to my friend.

Brent,

In the wake of your passing I have been reminded again of so many things about you; Your devotion to your students, your quick wit, your love for family and friends and your passion for fun.

You had an infectious laughter that echoed throughout a room that I can still hear so clearly in my mind. Thank goodness for that.


Over the years I have enjoyed running into your dad at hockey games. He always proudly boasted to me your latest accomplishments and was eager to hear anything new going on in my life. I know I will continue to see him and I am happy about that. It will make me think of you and no doubt we will reminisce. I will try my hardest not to be sad but instead be happy to have shared in part of your life. I will remember many things and cherish memories. Here are some of my favourite:

  • Our presentation in Grade 9 - a Pee Wee Herman skit, performed in french
  • Nights at Natalie's camp

  • Crocodile Mile parties at Barb's

  • Going "Meating"

  • When we snuck into someone else's wedding on a quest for a sombrero. (Success)

  • "This is for you, Aileen" - which I won't explain because you would be embarrassed

  • Sitting in our hotel room after Kiley's wedding eating pizza and chatting. In the morning you were angry I didn't wake you up to eat the pizza....forgetting that you ate most of it.

  • Being your 'girl' date when needed and thankfully, it was eventually not needed

The last day we spent together was a good one - no, a great one. We parted ways with a hug and said "see you at Christmas". Next week is Christmas and I will see you again for the last time. I could not have imagined it would be at your funeral. I will say goodbye and I will be sad. But I will try to remember something silly, like how you would rub your belly when you ate too much and pretended you were having 'baby maxine'. And I will try to smile.

I will miss you but I won't forget.

You are forever in my heart.

Rest in peace, my friend.




6 comments:

Natasha said...

Now I'm crying. I've been trying not to think about this because I find it very disturbing. I'm still so sad. It's so messed up.

That is a GORGEOUS photo of Brent. I love it. It's my favourite.

Hardly the most notable thing about him but he did have a great, booming voice and laugh.

Giggles said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Heidi said...

Crying...

I'm so, so sorry.

Sonia said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Sara. It is very obvious what a great friend he was to you. This was a beautiful tribute to him.

Amy said...

It's been a while since I've read your blog...this was very well written Sara....he would have loved it.

Q said...

I'm a bit late reading this post, but thank you. With Brent's birthday coming up in a few days I've been reminded of him lately, and reading your memories brought a smile to my face.