Friday, August 27, 2010

10 Years to Celebrate

My mom & dad, with Avery
- August 25, 2000

Ten years ago, I begrudgingly put on my Blockbuster Video uniform, knowing my sister was in the early stages of labour and I couldn't bail on my shift at work. Thankfully, when all was said and done, I made it to the hospital in plenty of time.

A decade has gone by and I celebrate 10 years of a beautiful girl.

A girl:

-who is passionate and sensitive and feels with her heart.

-who's bald little head was quickly loaded with bouncing curls that make you cringe with envy.

-who cries out in a movie theatre when an animal is injured - completely unaware of anyone else in the room. Because her heart aches at the thought of someone else in pain.

-who greets fear with confidence. She conquers any roller coaster, while the rest of us chickens stand to the side with our stomach in knots.

-who challenges her mother, because she knows what she wants and fights for what she believes to be true. A characteristic that will only help her succeed in life.

-who is a waterbug, just like me. She can swim for hours on end. We made up a golfball game in the lake. I know she cheats at it. But I do too. (Don't worry, I usually let her win)

-who used to sign her name at school with the middle initial "H". And told everyone her middle name was "Horse" (her middle name does not start with H)

-who told stories that were full of adventure and imagination about her and her best friend Janie. You would have never guessed that Janie wasn't real.

-who brought a newspaper clipping of Motley Crue to kindergarten for show and tell.

-who innocently tested her match-making skills in finding me a mate.

-who has made me laugh with so many one-liners....I couldn't begin to list them all.

I can't believe how fast ten years have gone by. I miss her chubby cheeks and blowing zerberts on her soft baby belly. I miss the Boston accent she grew when she couldn't say the letter 'r'. I miss the way she would run to me and squeal with delight when I would come over to visit.

But I look at her now and I smile at the wonderful girl she has become. Happy Birthday to my sweet Avery.


3 comments:

Heidi said...

This little girl rocks. I want one like her.

She chose the middle name HORSE? Most little girls would go with Brittany or something idiotic.

Heidi said...

My apologies to any of Sara's readers who are named Brittany.

Andrea said...

love it! the picture of your parents is priceless!