Friday, May 22, 2009

"The Real World"

I would like to propose a new course be offered in highschool. It could replace some of the many useless ones currently offered now. One of which I recall taking is "Peer Helping" in which I learned absolutely nothing, except for when I was staging debates with a guy in my class so we could 'kill time'. The new course I am proposing would be entitled "The Real World" and it will teach you things you need to know when you get there. This course will cover basic life necessities, as well as the little things you learn that no one would think to ever teach you.

Things that I think should be taught would include some of the following:

(a) How to do your taxes. In addition to that - the basic principles and information about the tax procedures in general. What you can claim, what you can't, ways to benefit on your tax claim, etc.

(b) Basic Car Care. Here's why - I got my first car when I was 18. It was a lease. When I went to return it three years later I was asked why the tires were in such poor condition. I didn't know. The guy asked me when I last rotated my tires. Rotated my tires? Ya - I had no idea you were supposed to do that. Or, how about which type of oil you want put in during an oil change. I still have no idea. Usually the converstaion goes like this: "So, you want me to put in the XX?XX, like the last time? "Yes" I say with confidence, though not actually knowing what he's talking about. Things like this would be good to know.

(c) All about Credit - This would be a big unit in class as there is a lot to be taught. Basic money management is vitally important. Or perhaps how a lack of money management will affect your life. The role that your credit plays in your plans for your future; What builds good credit, what brings down your credit? How to build up your credit. You know when you go to a store and they ask you to sign up for the store card to save 10% - guess what? This plays a role in your credit too. I recently obtained my credit report and learned ALOT. It was great to see and I am so happy I did that. Things I did years and years ago that I completely forgot about were on there (such as signing up for a card to save 10%). Who would have thought? Not me at 20 years old and careless, thats for sure.

(d) General House Maintenance: After I moved into my house, I just lived my life like I normally would. Who knew there was filter in the furnace that needed to be changed. I also don't know much about lawn care. My neighbour isn't impressed that I don't use the 'whipper snipper' - which I don't even know what the actual word for that thing is. I need to learn about fertilizers and weed killer too.

Would this type of course not be beneficial? It certainly wouldn't hurt. If highschool can teach me about sewing, construction, cooking and parenting....it should teach me about whipper snippers. Priorities, people!


**side note: Highschool did attempt to teach me wood working. But then I got my hand stuck in a lathe. One trip to the ER and a few x-rays later...no broken bones. Lesson learned? I don't want to learn wood working.**

5 comments:

mirella. said...

I could NOT agree more!!!
Maybe you should start a petition to have the school curriculum changed (AGAIN!) and send it to Parliament.
Is Parliament the right word? See?! They should teach that in high school, too: Basic (Yet Important) Canadian Government Vocabulary.

C.Flower said...

My honest opinion about real life skills is that they come from ... well, living.

When I was in high school and struggling to get through math, I couldn't shake the idea that GEOMETRY wouldn't matter in the future and that learning how to change my oil would.

Schools are bubbles. College is an ever WORSE bubble. College just postpones growing up, which is why I believe our generation is behind about 4 years in the maturity department.

Excellent post.

Parliament, eh? So British!

mirella. said...

Haha!
Well, Canada didn't technically gain TOTAL independence from Britain until 1931.
So, we might need a little more time to develop words of our own... maybe some day we'll refer to Parliament as "The Big Kahunas" or something.
How funny would that be?

Giggles said...

I agree 100%. Highschool taught me how to bake cookies, make rice and play the trumpet (thank you Mount St. Joseph), but I have no clue how to change my tire or even put air in it!

I remember being told, by a nun, that if I didn't take grade 11 advanced math, I would be a failure in life! To this day, the only math I have to know are the basics, and I like it that way. I say more life skills and less math!

Amy said...

Well said. I agree!! I think another good course (or co-op) would be to drive around the City and say to each kid - what kind of house do you want to live in one day - this big house? or this little house? Well, if you want to live here, this is the the mortgage payment and this is how much money you will need, and this is the type of job you will have to have to afford it. Maybe an incentive to try harder in school and aim higher.