Saturday, May 30, 2009

Confessions of a Back Catcher

While being the catcher in baseball is far from the most glamorous position, I would propose it to be one of the more interesting.

As ball season gets well on its way again this summer, I’m reminded of how much I enjoy the things that go on at home plate.

First, there is the dynamic built between you and the umpire. Depending on the umpire of course, but a relationship begins to form. A small rapport develops when you stand with the same select few guys throughout the summer. Some of them, as it turns out, also referee the kids I coach through the winter – so it’s a year round thing for me and the umps. In the back of my mind I sometimes wonder if there was a close call to make during a game and the ump had to decide between me and the other team – would he subconsciously choose me because of our loosely based friendship?

Moving on to my favourite part which I call “the Habits of the Hitters”. I feel like a psych major could do a thesis on the athletic behaviour I see. I love watching all the different rituals people have when they get up to bat. Most players have a series of things that occur before they hit the ball. Starting with their feet; most are diggers. They level the dirt on the ground until it is nice and even then dig dig dig intensely down with their toes, creating little feet havens molded only for them. If they aren’t the digging type, I then like to watch where they stand. Way back? Close to the front? Far to the left? Far to the right? The ones who don’t dig, tend to be what I call “Dancers” – meaning they’ll do three jazz moves and a step-ball-change to reach for any pitch. Whereas diggers tend to wait for the perfect pitch.

After the feet, comes the bat moves. This usually involves tapping of some sort. Line up the feet, then take the tip of the bat and tap the plate somehow. Tap all the corners? Tap the middle? Just the far corner? This is always followed by a practice swing. Or three. Maybe exactly three – if that’s part of the routine. Granted – I’d say 99% of all ball players end the routine with a practice swing, myself included. The few that don’t are generally girls who don’t know how to hold the bat and don’t care how they swing anyway.

Once the routine is finally said and done – the pitcher finally throws a pitch. Now, if the guy swings and misses the ball? Get ready – because for some that means going back to square one. Just like the guys in the Majors, he’s got to walk away and shake it off. Just shake it off. And back to the digging we go. Dancers however, don’t do the ‘walk around’. They’re always ready to go.

I also love the ‘surprise guy’. Surprise Guy walks up to the plate looking nonchalant. He’s not dressed like a ball player, and may even be in jeans. He doesn’t hold the bat in any way that would indicate he is ready to hit. He stands there like he is thinking “let’s get this over with”. But as the ball approaches the plate he suddenly turns into Harry Potter with some wizard like move and turns into A-Rod. No one is ever ready for the Surprise Guy and I love it. Surprise Guy can also be a girl, by the way. Actually, Surprise Girl is way more of a surprise…therefore more fun.

As the innings go by I play games in my head. Each player that goes up again, I see if I can remember their ritual. I also try to remember where they hit the last time. I challenge myself and it is fun. I try to evaluate how their batting habits reflect who they are as people in their every day life.

In the game I played on Tuesday night this guy went up to the plate and struck out. Not even fouled out – just plain ol’ struck out. It’s quite rare for that to happen – for a guy to swing three times and actually miss the ball. This was a big, athletic looking ball player and it threw him for a loop. His team, of course, razzed him. That’s expected and required. But man, was this guy rattled! The next few times he was up, his anxiety was just radiating off of him. He was starting to actually make me nervous. I was playing against him, but secretly rooting for him to get a good solid hit. Which he did, but don’t worry…my team still won.

I may never be the person making the double play, or catching the ball on the fence to prevent a home run, but I can safely say I'm okay with playing Dr Phil at home plate. And hey - I still make some good plays back there too. Lets be honest, the outs at home are the best kind.


Favourite of the Day: Met up with Jayme tonight for dinner. The girl who showed up on my doorstep in 1989. I had just moved into a new house and didn't have any friends to play with. Our friendship started with "Wanna ride bikes?" And here we still are....

No comments: