Sunday, May 24, 2009

Roy meets winter

When Roy first moved here he told me he had lived in places where it snowed, but never like it did here and he wasn't sure what to expect for the winter.  I explained to him that our winters are cold and he would need to prepare himself.  I suggested he buy a warm jacket, boots, gloves, etc.  I forgot to tell him that he would need to buy a snow brush for his truck. 

Not long after that conversation, winter kicked in - full force.  One morning when I left for work, he was leaving for school at the same time.  When we got outside we saw it had snowed quite a bit and both of our vehicles were covered in snow.   I took the snow brush out of my car and gave it to him.  I told him I would wait while he cleaned off his truck.   I also told him that it would be a good idea on days like that one, to start his truck early to let it 'warm up' before he went anywhere.   

When he began to brush the snow off he found there was a thick layer of ice underneath.  He looked at me baffled, not knowing how to get it off the windows.  I showed him that the end of the snow brush had a scraper on it and demonstrated how to use it.  

The look on his face when I did this was hilarious.  He was skeptical and looked at me like "Are you kidding me?" 

I asked what was wrong.  He said; 

"No, there has got to be a better way to do this" 

I laughed; "No, this is how you do this.  There is no other way"  

He laughed too and shook his head, as though he was saying "You silly woman" and started to head inside. 

Amused, I asked where he was going.  He told me he was going to 'fix this' and disappeared in the house. 

I then scraped off my car and could have left for work.  But I had to stick around to see what he was up too.   

Minutes went by so I went inside to find him.  He was in the kitchen, just standing there.  I noticed a pot of water on the stove. Beside it, a kettle.  I didn't say a word.  I wanted to watch this transaction take place.  Plus, I enjoyed his rationale that he was smarter than me, simply because he was male and I was female.  

Sure enough, when the water boiled he proceeded outside, shooting the water in different directions all over his windshield.  And sure enough, it re-froze almost immediately.  It was awesome.  He went back inside to get more water.  That's when I decided to leave.  I badly wanted to throw in an "I told you so" and point out that my car was ice-free long before his genius hot water idea was executed.  I held it in.  We never discussed the incident.   However, the next time we both left the house in the morning I had a smile on my face as I scraped my windows.  I listened to the beautiful sound of him scraping of his windows.....

.....with his newly purchased snow brush.  




4 comments:

C.Flower said...

HAHAHAHAAAA! I FREAKIN' LOVE THIS ROY.

You know you have a sitcom plot on your hands. For some reason though, every time I conceptualize your Roy-com, Belkie from "Perfect Strangers" comes to mind.

Sara said...

My next Roy story will include a picture. He doesn't look like Belkie...well, unless Belkie was asian. I do, at times, feel like Larry though.

amber said...

Sara! Please tell us the story about Roy making friends with winter...er, well, at least "making friends" in the winter!

Natasha said...

Ahhh, Roy stories. Love it. Do you have a category called "Roy"?

And why aren't you linking to your blog posts more? Why do I always miss them?

I think it was "Balkie".