Friday, May 15, 2009

Tribute to a Hero


A few weeks ago I went to a memorial service and watched my friend Dave stand before hundreds of people to talk about his best friend, Scott. It is hard to watch someone have to do this at the young age of 29 years old. But Dave delivered an honourable tribute to his dear friend’s life. He found the perfect mix of light hearted humour, reflections of Scott’s life, his own life long memories and what Scott meant to the world. He did so standing confident and strong. My heart was sad for Dave, having to be in that position, but at the same time I felt proud of him for a job so well done.

On March 20th of this year, Scott was killed in Afghanistan. He died in the line of duty, along with three other soldiers. I had met Scott only a handful of times, through Dave. What little I did know of him, I knew he was a great person and I knew what a great friend he was to Dave. His energy filled a room. He was positive and interesting to talk too. The last time I saw him was a couple years ago. I had given him a ride home. We talked about the life he was building for himself and I asked him many questions about the time he had just spent on his first (or maybe second?) tour in Afghanistan. I didn’t know much and it was interesting for me to learn from someone with his experience.

The night I learned of this tragedy I was visiting family out of town. My mom and I were up late and I was in the kitchen baking a cake. My mom was flipping through the channels when I heard his last name spoken and saw his picture on the screen. I hadn’t yet heard why they said his name as the channel passed by. My heart stopped and sunk to my stomach. I ran to the TV and turned back the channel to find that my worst fear was true. I felt sick.

In the past I saw and heard of soldiers dying on the news. I felt sadness and thought of their friends and families, then eventually moved on. But then I saw a name and a face of someone I knew. And it became real. The reality of the world we live in hit me. I thought of the thousands of men and women that are serving our country, with the mission and goal of building, supporting and strengthening another country. I thought of Scott, who volunteered to go back again for his third mission. I thought of his dedication, devotion and strength. And then I cried.

I cried for many reasons. But mostly I cried for the 7 month old daughter Scott leaves behind. Shortly after the night I drove him home, Scott left town and fell in love. And if Facebook taught me anything it’s that he fell head over heels in love. I cried thinking of his fiancĂ©, who lost the love of her life and the father of her child. I cried thinking Scott won’t get to see his beautiful baby grow up. I thought of his parents, brother, family and friends and the heartache they must be feeling right now.

But then I thought of positive things. I thought of how evidently happy he was. Scott’s fiancĂ© is an amazingly talented photographer and I thought of all the beautiful pictures she must have of him with their baby. I thought of all the amazing stories people will tell their daughter about her dad. I thought of the genes she carries that will show her mother and Scott’s family a piece of him every day.

To Master Corporal Scott Vernelli – though I didn’t know you that well, you’ve taught me a lot. You made me appreciate the value of our lives and the people around us. You opened my eyes to the brave men and women who sacrifice their lives and fight for our country. I took time to read more about the Canadian Forces and the mission in Afghanistan. I have a better understanding of the world outside of my every day life. I will see you in every soldier I see and remember this message. Thank you. You’ve defined for me what a real hero is.

And To Dave – You did a great job and your words were spoken from your heart. You’re a good man and I’m grateful to call you my friend.

Master Corporal Scott Vernelli

1980-2009

4 comments:

Natasha said...

My goodness. He was my age.

Good job here, Sara. I can't imagine how surreal that would have been to see and hear of him on the news and to find out that way. My stomach dropped just reading it.

Bless those loyal, brave and honourable soldiers and their families.

C.Flower said...

My stomach dropped too. I got goosebumps as well.

This was a thoughtful, thoughtful post. Do you think his wife might be touched by it?

Giggles said...

Greate post Sara.

It brought tears to my eyes.

It takes a special person to go to an area with such conflict, not once, not twice, but three times.

What a great person. Hearing about Scott and others like him makes me want to be a better person.

Thoughts go out to everyone who knew him and loved him.

Kent said...

Excellent post, Sweetheart. I think you nailed it. XOXO