Saturday, June 6, 2009

Best Before?

Today I found this soup in my cupboard and I was really craving soup. Then I noticed it said "Best Before July 2007". Is that tricky wording? Does that mean I can still eat it, but it won't be at it's best? If that's not the case I feel it should be worded differently. Perhaps "Do not eat after July 2007" Or plain and simple: "Expired after July 2007". It's just soup right? How bad can it be?

I like thinking about Amy, who right now reading this, will want to throw up thinking I am even thinking about eating this. She won't even leave a pizza on the counter for more than an hour without worrying about it and putting it in the fridge. Meanwhile, I'd eat it the next morning - leaving it out all night, without a second thought. We are so opposite it's funny.

I really want to eat this soup.

Thoughts?

5 comments:

Amy said...

DO NOT do it! YUCK...you are very right, I would never touch it. It would never have been in my house for that long! It expired 2 years ago!!! lol. Only you Sar....only you. I love it.

Natasha said...

Oh gosh, Amy. We leave our pizza on the counter for TWO days and then still eat it. It's fine.

And Sara, yes, it means it's "best" before that date. Because I'm Mormon and we have a church-mandated requirement to store a year's supply of food, I know quite a bit about food storage. The reality is that most food is fine for YEARS after the best before date. Veggies, soup, whatever, is SAFE to eat years later, it just might not taste as good. It might be metallic-y or have a loss of flavour.

Wheat is the coolest: If stored properly, it is food-safe for thousands of years.

Natasha said...

Because, think of it: If the packaging is good enough to keep the food safe for a YEAR, an item that would normally go bad after a week (?!), then that packaging is good enough to keep out bacteria for years longer, so long as nothing has punctured it. It just might not be as yummy.

Giggles said...

I once tried to eat Tomato Soup that was 3 years past the expiry date and it didn't work out well. I opened the can of soup and it was all congealed. I had to use a spoon and fork to scoop it out.

I DID NOT EAT IT!

I am now very thorough at checking the best before date!

C.Flower said...

Joe drank OJ this morning that expired a week ago and as far as I know he's still alive. But that's just OJ, at one week past the expiration date.

How about the name of this soup? Gardennay? Sounds pretty gourmet. Did you drink it out of a crystal bowl like the long-haired kittens in Fancy Feast commercials?