Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Yahoo Crew

Cancer sucks. Plain and simple.

That was the prevalent thought on my mind last night at the Relay for Life fundraiser. We've all been touched by cancer in one way or another. Everyone has a story.

For the past four years I've been participating in this event. Every year when I see the 'victory lap' I get a little choked up. It is the kick-off that starts the walk where survivors of cancer do their first lap. I watch them, along with their families, proudly walk together and I think of how they beat this disease. I think of the heartache and tears they have shared and the battles they have endured. But they've won. And it is truly amazing.

But you can't help but notice the hundreds of luminaries surrounding the track and think of those that have lost.

Ironically, the event this year lands on the weekend of Fathers Day. Every year that I walk, I think mainly of two close friends who I watched lose their fathers to cancer. Once when I was just 15, and then again at 26. At 15, I had only known Roger when he was sick and that is the only way I can remember him. I wish I had the chance to have known him during a better time. At 26 I watched Chuck, a healthy, happy, funny man become progressively sicker over time. Until the day came when I got the dreaded phone call that he had died. In both situations I will never forget that phone call. I could tell you exactly where I was standing and I will never forget the feeling that overcame me.

One of the survivors spoke last night. She is just 24 years old and told her story of victory. She spoke of being diagnosed at 19 and going through chemo and radiation. She spoke of her care-givers and how they experienced cancer just as much as she did. I imagine caring for someone who is sick to be a painful journey that requires nothing but pure strength. Sadly, most of us may face this at one point or another. I will encounter more of my friends and family losing loved ones to cancer.

The good news is that in Ontario alone 80,000 Relay For Life participants will help raise more than 19 million dollars to help with the cause. Not only for researching a cure, but also for preventing it from happening in the first place. There is hope and I have to believe that every year we are getting one step closer.

To this day, when I drive down Chuck's long driveway and see the silly road signs he's placed along the way, I have to remind myself he won't be there and I can't believe it. I expect him to be building a fire in the yard or working on the old car in the garage, a cold beer in hand.

Here is a picture of this year's team, "The Yahoo Crew" who walks for Chuck:



As Fathers Day rolls around tomorrow, I think of my friends who have lost their dads. I will be thankful for another year that passed that my family remains healthy and happy.

And I will hug my dad.

1 comment:

C.Flower said...

Aww. Go Yahoo Crew! I would have gladly donated to your fundraising campaign. These fundraisers – and the people who walk/run/bike/donate toward them are hugely important not only to survivors but to the families of survivors and those families who have lost loved ones to cancer. Typing this now, I'm getting choked up. Next time you fundraise, drop me an e-mail.