Monday, November 8, 2010

Challenge #1

Most people who know me are aware that I am repulsed by raw meat. The thought of touching it makes me want to throw up. While I like to eat meat - I very rarely touch it. That means it doesn't enter my kitchen very often and I generally only cook meat I don't have to touch first.

My goal for my first challenge was to make roast beef. Brian told me he loved roast beef so I invited him over for dinner. When I went to the grocery store to buy everything, I went to the meat area and picked out what I thought looked the best. It was pre-seasoned (I wouldn't have to touch it) and it looked like a nice size for the two of us.

I didn't learn until much, much later that I actually picked out a pork roast. HA. Oh well....good thing Brian is flexible with his meat.

I also decided to use this as an opportunity to try parsnips for my first time. I cooked the roast with potatoes, carrots, onions and parsnips. They were good. I will definitely eat them again.

Here is a breakdown of cost for this project:

Pork Roast $8.00
Onion $0.56
Carrots $1.47
Parsnips $2.49
Potatoes $3.19

Sub-total $15.71
HST $2.04
TOTAL $17.75

Overall, this was a success. Everything tasted good and it was very easy.
Good food, good company and good wine.

(This project made me realize I don't own place mats. Note to self: buy place mats)






2 comments:

BigSpoon said...

Brian is very flexible with his meat! Great dinner Cat...thanks so much!

Amber said...

Yay! Nice meat! Looks like you did a great job! I'm looking forward to the night I get to be the guinea pig. I do get to be a guinea pig, right?