Sunday, November 7, 2010

Halloween

I love Halloween. Love it. It is my favourite day of the year. I love how it's a blank slate to become anything you want to be. There are millions of possibilities. I love seeing the creativity and effort people put into their costumes. I prefer home made costumes vs. purchased - but I just like people to dress up, regardless.

One of my favourite Halloween memories is from back in 2004. My friend Mike and I drove down to Guelph to visit friends. I was an egg and he was a suitcase. A bunch of us went to this country bar and when it was time to go Mike refused to leave. He and I got in a big fight so I left him there. He didn't know where the house we were staying in was or how to get back. This was pre-cell phone days - so he was screwed. He ended up in a cab, driving aimlessly around town trying to find a house he recognized. Considering he was wearing a suitcase....he turned himself into lost luggage. Literally.

The one thing I do not like about Halloween is when people use it as an excuse to dress like wh*res. Guess what? 'Slut' isn't a costume. I have seen some pictures that are just plain ridiculous. Sometimes, the 'sexy nurse' or the 'police officer' type costumes are awesome. If you can pull it off - kudos. At least those are still costumes. But wearing a black bra and underwear doesn't make you 'tomb raider'.

I am a big fan of Twitter. @funnyordie tweeted this last week and I laughed pretty hard:

"A lot of girls are rocking the 'My Father Didn't Love Me Enough' costume this year for Halloween".

HA

2005 - Suitcase & Turkey
Mike & I

2006 - Fallopian Swim Team
Mike, Mel and I


2007 - Killer Bee & Ghostbuster
Mike and I


2008 - Taco, Cheese Whiz & Celery, Samba Dancer
Danie, Me, Jane, Travis

2010 - Deviled Egg

I am so happy and thankful to have friends who love dressing up too.






3 comments:

Heidi said...

Fallopian swim team!!! You're a wisenheimer.

Heidi said...

Amen on the abolition of all slut/whore/sexy nurse costumes. I can't stomach it.

I applaud your creative costume repertoire. Years ago, I read a hilarious essay in Jane Magazine about the abundance of slut costumes. One female Jane staffer decided to buck the trend and go as a giant pink rabbit to a hot NYC Halloween party. (Picture a fuzzy mascot costume.) Her plan to be unsexy backfired, when every dude in the room became totally enamored with the pink rabbit. She created the ultimate mystery and in turn, the guys at the party went wild. They knew there was a female inside the suit. (Her voice gave it away.) Not surprisingly, the giant pink rabbit was more captivating than the sexy nurse.

Sara said...

I sure do miss 'Jane'. I know you do too....