Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Challenge #2


Chocolate Strawberry Cheesecake

Initially, I thought this turned out to be a bomb. However, the only problem was that we tried to eat it too soon. It hadn't fully cooled or set yet. After a few hours in the fridge, it was pretty delicious.

This was a very simple recipe. The hitch in this was the cost of the cream cheese. A tip for others is to never buy cream cheese in Canada. Here, one brick of cream cheese costs between $3.69-$3.99. In Michigan they are only $1.69 (at Walmart anyway). I bought them yesterday on our side because I was in a rush. But for future reference - take the time and buy cream cheese across the river. With Christmas baking season on its way, I plan to buy a few to keep in my fridge just in case.

In preparation for this recipe, I already had quite a few things on hand (sugar, oreo crumbs, butter, chocolate chips). So the breakdown of cost is only for the ingredients I had to buy:

Cost:

1 brick of cream cheese $3.69
1 brick of cream cheese $3.69
strawberries $4.99
eggs $1.69

sub total $14.06
HST $ 1.83
TOTAL $15.89

I would not normally have paid $4.99 for strawberries. I usually only buy them when they are on sale for much cheaper. Like 2/$5.00 for example. But that's what happens when you give yourself a 7 day challenge - can't control the sales. The cost of making a cheesecake is pretty high. For the record - I will probably only make this again when I have an actual reason and have a large number of people to eat it.







No comments: