Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Bike Story

I was framed for a crime. Sort of. I'm reminded of it every year on my friend Dana's birthday - October 9 - the day this craziness occurred.

I had a hockey game that night and I was on my way to the rink. I was driving in the outside lane down Wellington Street - a very busy street. Looking ahead, I saw a man on the curb, standing beside his bike. He looked like he was waiting for traffic to clear so he could eventually cross. I didn't give him much thought. As I passed where he was standing he suddenly picked up his bike and flung it onto my car. It scared the crap out of me and I swerved into the other lane and hit the brakes. Thankfully, there were no cars there at the time. I looked into my rear view mirror and saw the guy run onto the street behind my car and lay down beside his mangled bike with his limbs all astray. When this all happened I had no idea what he was doing. I thought he was crazy. I was just mad he possibly damaged my car. I got out of the car and angrily walked over to him. I asked him what the h*ll was wrong with him. He didn't respond and I looked around and saw people walking toward me with concerned looks on their faces. Traffic had stopped and my car was parked diagonally across two lanes blocking traffic. Suddenly I realized what it looked like.

Everyone thought I hit him.

My heart started to race and I announced "I did not hit this guy. He threw his bike at my car." Suddenly I was the crazy one. Then I said "Didn't anyone see this happen?". A guy started walking towards us from the opposite side of the street and said "Ya, I saw it all - you were driving too fast and you hit him". Great - these guys were working together. That put me in a full panic and I said I was going to call the police. He said "good because you hit him". As this happened a little old lady had finally managed to make her way over to us. She was driving the car behind me. She told everyone she saw it all - that the guy was not on his bike and he did in fact, throw it on my car. There was a man in a suit standing beside me who then put all the pieces together and realized these crackheads were scheming together to try to get some money out of me. He said he was calling the police and suggested I move my car out of the middle of the street. This prompted the crackheads to run away.

We tried to see if there was damage to the car but it was dark and we were not able to tell. I was quite shaken up over the incident and the little old lady told me she lived around the corner and invited me over to use her phone. To be honest, I'm not quite sure why I went to her house because I could have used a phone at the rink. But I did. So, I sat in this sweet lady's living room and called my dad. I blurted out to him what happened and he remained calm, as he always does, and told me to report it to the police. So I did. The police didn't seem to care and did nothing.

When I finally got to the rink I busted into the dressing room looking rattled and dishevelled. The room was quiet and my coach was giving his pre-game speech. I couldn't contain myself and rudely interrupted;

"Guys - you're never going to believe this...."

And as it often happens in my life, they responded with 'Only you Sara, only you.'


Favourite of the Day: With family coming home to spend Thanksgiving weekend with us, I was ecstatic to finally the newest addition to our family, Julianna. She is as beautiful as can be. She is 7 weeks old and I snuck in some good snuggle time with her. She is perfect.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

No comments: